Pre and Post Surgery Instructions
Pre Surgery Instructions
Preparing for the surgery
- Some pre-operative investigations are required before the surgery to ensure you are fit to undergo the surgical procedure
- It is important to avoid certain medicines (aspirin and all aspirin containing medicines) for a minimum of 5 days prior to the surgery.
- Smoking is strictly restricted
On the day of the surgery
- One day prior to surgery, the patient is usually kept NPO(nothing to be taken orally except medicines prescribed) after midnight
Post Surgery Instructions
- After the surgery, the patient is shifted to the recovery room under the care and supervision of the Anaesthesia team. The patient is observed for 2-4 hours and then shifted to the room in the ward on consent by the anesthetist.
- Oral liquids are started with sips of water with gradual progression to drinking all liquids on the same day of the surgery.
- The patient is encouraged to sit up, move around and visit the toilet on his own on the same day of the surgery.
- The patient is given a semi solid breakfast the next morning and generally discharged after the surgeon's consent.
- 1. The first follow up is usually scheduled after 2-5 days when the dressings are removed. Patient should avoid wetting the dressings unless they are waterproof. After the removal of dressing, patient can have normal bath with soap and water.
- The patient is given a 24*7 Doctor’s helpline number to enquire about any of their surgery related concerns.