Pre and Post Surgery Instructions
Pre Surgery Instructions
Preparing for the surgery
Some pre operative investigations are required before the surgery to ensure you are fit to undergo the surgical procedure. The patient is not allowed to eat or drink once admitted with acute appendicitis for surgery.
Post Surgery Instructions
- After the surgery, the patient is shifted to the recovery room under the care and supervision of the Anaesthesia team. The patient is observed for 2-4 hours and then shifted to the room in the ward on consent by the anesthetist.
- Oral liquids are started with sips of water with gradual progression to drinking all liquids on the same day of the surgery.
- The patient is encouraged to sit up, move around and visit the toilet on his own on the same day of the surgery.
- The patient is given a normal breakfast the next morning and generally discharged after the surgeon's consent.
- The first follow up is usually scheduled after 2-5 days when the dressings are removed. Patient should avoid wetting the dressings unless they are waterproof. After the removal of dressing, patient can have normal bath with soap and water.
- The patient shall be given a 24*7 Doctor’s helpline number to enquire about any of their surgery related concerns.