Treatment of Thyroid Diseases
- Dietary changes - to take iodized salt and avoid vegetables like cabbage
- Hypothyroidism - Replacement of deficient thyroid hormone by synthetic analogues.
- Hyperthyroidism – medications to control symptoms + drugs to decrease hormone production
- Radioactive iodine – in hyperfunctioning gland (Grave’s Disease) or a toxic nodule, especially if patient unfit for surgery.
- Endoscopic removal of thyroid entails making access incisions below the patients’ clothes neckline for improved cosmesis which is the prime reason for which is performed. A working space is created using a saline filled balloon in the plain of the thyroid gland
- The surgery performed with laparoscopic instruments is like standard open procedure except that in the end the patient has no visible scar in the neck.